The future is female: the 13 tenets of Future Feminism
Together with her New York- collaborators Kembra Pfahler and Johanna Constantine singer, composer and artist Anohni (formerly know as Antony Hegarty of Antony and the Johnsons) launched her Future Feminism exhibition in Aarhus, Denmark last week. The exhibition is like a small festival running for 3 weeks, composed of events, workshop and panels - such as this one: "Deconstruct the mythology of male spirituality and restore the female archetype as central to creation" - and 13 monolithic marble works (see picture above) each presenting one of the 13 tenets of Future Feminism.
Since its first showing in New York in 2014, aspects of the text from tenets have been widely appropriated in popular culture, most notably tenet #13: "THE FUTURE IS FEMALE," which was subsequently marketed by t-shirt companies and even proclaimed by Hillary Clinton earlier this year.
The tenets stand as the manifesto of a movement seeking to expand the way feminism has been defined in the past and what it can encompass. Serving as philosophies and meditations that can be taken on by everyone, they invite to a redesign of society based on the principles of a feminine archetype in order to create the hope of a sustainable future for us all.
THE 13 TENETS OF FUTURE FEMINISM
1. The subjugation of women and the earth is one in the same.
2. Future Feminism requires the participation of all people.
3. Enforce a global standard for the rights and ethical treatment of women.
4. Identify biological differences between the sexes, and draw individuals into greater accountability on the basis of their predispositions.
5. Relieve men of their roles as protectors and predators.
6. Redefine the societal roles of women and men in response to present conditions.
7. Advocate for feminine systems in all areas of governance.
8. Build political structures using a circular model.
9. Repattern societies to nurture the resurgence of biodiversity.
10. Feminize male-centric language.
11. Deconstruct the mythology of male spiritual supremacy.
12. Restore the female archetype as central to creation.
13. The future is female.
Created by: Anohni - Kembra Pfahler - Johanna Constantine - Bianca Casady - Sierra Casady.
Read more about the creation of the 13 tenets in an interview (Huffingtonpost, 2014) with the 5 woman here.
Excerpts from a future feminism monolog by Anohni (listen to all of it in the video below):
"Allah as a woman is a critical threshold and Buddha as a mother is another one because I truly believe that unless we move into feminine systems of governance we don’t have a chance on this planet. And there’s no one else that can lead the masses to do that except for, like, the major religious institutions. And I’m someone who’s looking for a reason to hope, and for me hope looks like feminine systems of governance being instated in, like, the major religious institutions and throughout corporate and civil life. And it might sound far-fetched, but if you look at your own beliefs, just imagine how quickly you accepted the idea that the ocean is rising and the ecology of our world is collapsing. We can actually imagine that more readily than we can imagine a switch from patriarchal to matriarchal systems of governance a subtle shift in the way our society works….."